The City of Rose has a beautiful Veterans Battle Memorial Monument on the triangle intersection of Major Avenue and Wolcott Street. Though most know of its existence, how a lot do we actually learn about this glorious monument, or concerning the willpower, patriotism, dedication and help from all age teams of the neighborhood and surrounding communities that introduced it into existence?
Plans to erect our Veterans Battle Memorial Monument first started in February 1931. Members of the Miner-Youngs American Legion Put up No. 582, different residents and the City Board met within the Legion Assembly Rooms to debate and start the planning course of. A committee was fashioned consisting of: Chairman Orwin A. Skutt, city supervisor; Lloyd Gowers, commander of the American Legion Miner-Youngs Put up; John Harper, put up adjutant (sadly he was by no means capable of see this via as he died about three weeks previous to the dedication); and Seth C. Oaks, put up vice-commander.
An inventory naming all veterans from Rose was then compiled. To make sure that none had been ignored, the committee went a step additional and shared the listing with the general public, requesting that “all family members and mates rigorously scan the listing to see that their ancestors who could have been in any of the wars have their names on this listing and are listed appropriately.” This listing and the discover to the general public had been made accessible on the North Rose Put up Workplace, the Rose Put up Workplace and printed within the Lyons Republican newspaper.
The committee selected a gaggle of solicitors to hunt donations to pay for the monument. This group included Charles Jewell, Ross Ellinwood, Fred Stubley, Harry Cahoon, Ray Bradburn, Frank Thompson, Martin Miner, Clinton Dillingham, Henry Gage, William Baker, William Fish, Ray Wright, Grant Kitchen, Clarence Carney, Horace Putnam, Harry Bastian, Marvin Jeffers, L.S. City, George Valentine, William Rolfe, Leon Knapp and Earl Barnes. They acquired donations from 250-plus people and space companies. Fraternal organizations of Rose and the American Legion Auxiliary additionally placed on particular occasions to boost funds for this worthy trigger. Even the city’s schoolchildren wished to be concerned within the monetary help of this memorial; they contributed a liberty bond purchased with their pennies throughout World Battle I.
The spectacular design by the John Watson Firm of Palmyra was chosen. The memorial is made from what was thought of the best granite in America. It’s comprised of three items and at its accomplished peak stands at about 9 ft, 4 inches. The memorial was bought for $1,050 which, based on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation Calculator, could be equal to roughly $18,178 in the present day. The inscription on its face, below the carved reduction of a bald eagle, reads:
“THAT THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND SERVICES IN DEFENSE OF THEIR COUNTRY, AND TO PERPETUATE ITS IDEALS, SHALL LIVE AS AN INSPIRATION TO COURAGE AND PATRIOTISM – ERECTED BY THE PUBLIC SPIRITED CITIZENS OF THE TOWN OF ROSE, N.Y.”
The reverse face below a wreath carved in reduction is inscribed:
“TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND SERVICES IN THE WARS OF 1776 – 1812 – 1846 – 1861 – 1898 – 1917 (the years 1941 – 1950 – 1964 had been added later).
The names of Rose’s veterans of wars from the Revolutionary Battle to WWI, names of the memorial committee members, solicitors, contributors and members of the city board had been positioned into an hermetic field and sealed into the monument’s stone base.
The dedication ceremony for the Rose Veterans Memorial Monument came about on Saturday, Could 30, 1931 below a blue sky with a delicate breeze, making it an ideal day for festivities. This system started at 2:30 with a parade led by the American Legion Bert G. Collins Put up Bugle and Drum Corps of Lyons (wanting very spectacular of their lately bought West Level cadet uniforms), adopted by Spanish American and World Battle I veterans and Boy and Lady Scout troops.
The parade route ended on the triangle the place the Battle Memorial and a platform stood for the ceremony. Seated on the platform had been: George Seager, sole remaining veteran of the Civil Battle within the city of Rose; audio system Rev. Shaw, Rev. Proseus, Rev. Jacques, Rev. Jessup, Gordon Roney, Arlene Gowers, Mrs. Exner and some others; Lloyd Gowers, commander of the Miner-Youngs American Legion Put up of Rose; and city board members consisting of Supervisor Orin A. Skutt, City Clerk Ray A. Osgood, Justice Wells J. Putnam, and Justice Marvin W. Winchell.
One newspaper report put the group estimate at about 1,000 folks. There have been solely about 300 seats offered, leaving all others to stay standing or of their vehicles throughout this system. Crowd management was dealt with by Rose Boy Scouts on horseback and assisted by Chief of Police Brown of Lyons.
Seth C. Oaks, vice commander of the Miner-Youngs American Legion Put up of Rose, was the grasp of ceremonies. The ceremony program proceeded as follows:
- Opening music “Star Spangled Banner.”
- Opening prayer by the Rev. D.M. Proseus.
- Commander’s greetings.
- Lincoln’s Gettysburg Handle learn by Gordon Roney.
- Solo “There is no such thing as a Loss of life” sung by Mrs. William Exner of Clyde with Mrs. G.F. Valentine at piano.
- “In Flanders Fields” learn by Arlene Gowers.
- Unveiling of the memorial by Comrade George Seager.
- Putting of the wreath by Mrs. Helen Wells for the Auxiliary.
- Commander’s dedication speech titled “Lives Are Superb,” wherein he devoted the memorial monument “… to the reminiscence of those that fell within the service of their nation by land and by sea.”
- Dedication prayer by the Rev. Jacques.
- Dedication Handle by the Rev. H.M. Shaw.
Shaw expressed the aim for which the memorial was erected as acknowledged on it face and spoke to the variety of Rose males who had served within the wars: Revolutionary Battle, eight; Battle of 1812, 14; Mexican Battle, three; Civil Battle, 195; Spanish American Battle, 3; and World Battle I, 49. He additionally burdened the “necessity of house coaching of youngsters for the spiritual, ethical and patriotic management of the technology to return that America could proceed to be a Christian Nation because the founders initially supposed it to be.” Benediction was pronounced by Rev. E. O. Jessup. After this system and dedication, a photograph was taken of George Seager sitting on the new memorial.
Within the very close to future the intersection of Wolcott Street and Major Avenue in Rose, website of the Rose Memorial Monument, goes to be redesigned. We now have been assured that the memorial monument at this triangle intersection will stay untouched and in place.
Melanie Perhaps is a lifetime resident of Wayne County, a member of The Affiliation of Public Historians of New York State, a member of the Wayne Historians Group and the City of Rose historian.