As a part of the co-op’s ongoing dedication to racial fairness and local weather motion, the studio will prioritize storytelling from individuals and communities which can be Black, Indigenous, Individuals of Coloration (BIPOC), LGBTQ, ladies, and every other traditionally underrepresented teams in addition to tales that mirror the human affect and alternative to guard the surroundings.
“The outside is for everybody, and content material is a robust and related strategy to convey that perception to our members and new audiences,” stated Paolo Mottola, REI director of content material and media. “We’re supporting tasks that discover this concept from quite a lot of views, codecs and, most significantly, from quite a lot of voices. Our plan is to share and promote tales that encourage consciousness, inspiration and rejoice the alternative ways communities spend time outdoors.”
With 20 million lifetime members and a longtime community of current content material, REI is increasing its content material efforts to present members extra out of doors views and encourage new out of doors experiences.
The subsequent launch from Co-op Studios is “The Timber Bear in mind,” a three-part, scripted, quick movie collection with titles “Motion,” “Upkeep” and “Migration,” written and directed by Angela Tucker of TuckerGurl, Inc. The collection explores connection to nature by way of the heartfelt tales of three Black ladies. Set in several many years, the narratives depict their compelling and generally humorous journeys of development and therapeutic within the open air.
Extra movie tasks will probably be introduced in coming months. Upcoming multimedia tasks from Co-op Studios embody:
- A brand new podcast collection launching in September known as “Hi there, Nature,” hosted by Misha Euceph, explores the expertise of our nationwide parks by way of the eyes of a Pakistani American. Her quest is to see among the nationwide parks in 2021, and reply the query, “If the parks are public, aren’t they purported to be for everybody?”
- New episodes of “Miranda in the Wild,” a digital collection that includes REI worker and enthusiastic backpacker and hiker, Miranda Webster, who shares her data and humor to assist break down limitations to getting outdoors.
- A digital present that includes James Beard award-winning chef, diet coach and avid rock climber, Maria Hines, explores the intersection of nutritious meals, out of doors sports activities, and the surroundings.
- A relaunch of the Co-op Journal as “Unusual Path,” a digital publication for its members that unpacks the concepts, points and experiences that form the connection between individuals and life outdoors.
- New REI Co-op Editors’ Choice Awards, a designation honoring top-performing gear and attire out there on the co-op based mostly on discipline testing, REI experience, member and buyer suggestions, and sustainability attributes.
REI has labored to raise the voices of those that have traditionally been underrepresented and under-resourced in legacy definitions of outside participation. For the reason that launch of its Force of Nature initiative in 2017, a complete effort to advance gender fairness within the open air, REI has centered on breaking by way of the historic perceptions of what being “outdoorsy” means and who the outside is supposed for by way of its storytelling.
Some examples embody movies “Cycle of Ancestry,” “Pedal Through,” “Venture Out,” “Everything to Lose” by Pattie Gonia, “The Mirnavator,” “Brotherhood of Skiing,” and podcasts “Wild Ideas Worth Living” and “Camp Monsters.” Via its editorial program, the co-op has explored efforts to improve all-abilities access in outdoor spaces, individuals and groups working to make time outside more inclusive, and tales celebrating identity and adventure.
In 2020, Public Home Movies & TBVE produced, in affiliation with REI Co-op Studios, “The Dark Divide,” a characteristic movie directed by Tom Putnam, starring David Cross, Debra Messing, David Koechner, and that includes music by the Avett Brothers, that explores the therapeutic energy of nature. The movie was launched theatrically in 2020 to essential acclaim and can start streaming on Vudu, Tubi and IMDb TV later this month.
In regards to the REI Co-op
REI is a specialty out of doors retailer, headquartered close to Seattle. The nation’s largest shopper co-op, REI is a rising group of greater than 20 million members who anticipate and love the highest quality gear, inspiring professional courses and journeys, and excellent customer support. REI has 168 areas in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you cannot go to a retailer, you possibly can store at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI is not nearly gear. Adventurers can take the journey of a lifetime with REI’s lively journey journey firm that runs greater than 100 itineraries throughout the nation. In lots of communities the place REI has a presence, professionally skilled instructors share their experience by internet hosting beginner-to advanced-level courses and workshops about a variety of actions. To construct on the infrastructure that makes life outdoors attainable, REI invests thousands and thousands yearly in a whole bunch of native and nationwide nonprofits that create entry to—and steward—the out of doors locations that encourage us all.
SOURCE REI Co-op