[WARNING: The following contains MAJOR spoilers for Fear the Walking Dead Season 6, Episode 16, “The Beginning.”]
With the nukes within the sky, Morgan (Lennie James) and the remainder of his group are pressured to reckon with the excessive chance that the remainder of their lives at the moment are measured in minutes, somewhat than months or years. This results in some stunning revelations, the reappearance of CRM and one more cliffhanger ending involving the fates of two foremost characters. Right here’s the way it occurs.
Sarah, Luciana, Daniel, Wes, Rabbi Kessner and Charlie
The aforementioned group piled into Al’s (Maggie Grace) tank and began dashing towards a mysterious vacation spot the place Rollie (Cory Hart), a member of Sherry’s (Christine Evangelista) group stated they’d be secure. Oh, and Riley (Nick Stahl) is with them as a captive, too. Daniel (Ruben Blades) claims he heard a voice he acknowledged over the radio telling him coordinates of a spot the place they’d be secure, however given his current reminiscence points, the group questions whether or not that was actual — and no, the voice isn’t Madison (Kim Dickens).
However wait! A plot twist arrives within the type of Daniel determining Rollie was intentionally main them astray; he was once a part of The Finish is the Starting gang, and he was actually simply main all of them to get “a greater view” of the top. Yikes. Daniel kills Rollie after which Charlie (Alexa Nisenson) shoots Riley, in order that’s that. They head to Daniel’s coordinates solely to find that, ultimately, he was proper — the coordinates are the place a CRM helicopter lands, and it picks them up earlier than the blast. The voice he heard was Al (Maggie Grace). Nice timing!
Dwight and Sherry
The lovebirds make it to a backwoods cabin the place they intend to share a beer and pretzels and simply be collectively till the top. Sherry will get teary as they pop open bottles and says she shouldn’t have wasted the time that they had. Dwight (Austin Amelio) tells her to not really feel dangerous about it… after which a pair and their child emerge from the home, weapons raised, threatening Dwight and Sherry. They assume they’re a part of The Finish is the Starting, and apparently one of many believers stole their cellar for his personal survival.
That doesn’t fly with Dwight and Sherry, who go for one final act of heroism earlier than the top. They drag the man out of the cellar and shoot him within the legs, giving him a “front-row seat” to the top his folks created. They then earn an invitation from the household to stick with them, and they also experience out the blasts within the makeshift bunker.
Most likely probably the most fascinating storyline within the episode is that of Victor Strand (Colman Domingo), who heads into the town after betraying Morgan and leaving him for lifeless on the submarine. He fights his method via the lifeless and right into a constructing the place he finds a person named Howard (Omid Abtahi), a former historian who has amassed an admirably massive assortment of artifacts from throughout Texas. They bond fairly shortly, and Strand shares what’s on his thoughts: He talks about what occurred on the submarine. Besides as an alternative of being trustworthy about what he did, he tells Howard he’s Morgan Jones and makes himself out to be a noble chief somewhat than a survivalist in any respect prices.
The blast goes off, and he and Howard are unscathed. Strand begins laughing, in disbelief that his coronary heart continues to be beating. He then launches right into a semi-villainous speech about how he’s a survivor, a “cheater at chess,” and that he should be doing one thing proper, as a result of he’s nonetheless there. He proclaims to Howard that it’s a “new day,” and it actually looks as if they’re presumably setting him as much as be the primary antagonist for subsequent season.
Dakota, June, J.D. and Teddy
Harmful teen Dakota (Zoe Colletti) and serial killer Teddy (John Glover) are all set to look at the top, however then sharpshooters June (Jenna Elfman) and John Dorie, Sr. (Keith Carradine) present up. They each simply actually need to inform Dakota they forgive her (why?!) for killing their beloved John (Garret Dillahunt), and so they ask her to come back with them and be a part of them in a bunker (WHY?!). She appears torn, however Teddy isn’t. He says she wants to remain exterior to remain who she is, as a result of others received’t settle for her and if she retains going, she’ll must be a unique particular person. However there’s a twist — that bunker they discovered is Teddy’s, and he’s planning on going underground to outlive somewhat than adhering to the message he’s been preaching.
Dakota refuses to go together with J.D. and June, so that they go into the bunker with out her; then, feeling betrayed, she shoots Teddy and kills him, then will get caught within the blast. In a flash, she’s lifeless and gone — her charred stays hover the place she’d as soon as stood.
Grace and Morgan
These two stay on the sub whereas everybody else flees, and so they’re each ready to die. They lastly say the large L-word — love — and each admit they need to’ve stated it sooner. Morgan presses his brow to hers, he holds a gun up in order that the bullet would kill each of them when the set off is pulled, they shut their eyes, and… they hear a child crying.
To grasp that, now we have to backtrack to the start of the episode. You won’t bear in mind the start of Season 6 at this level, which is completely comprehensible. However the man who saved Morgan on the division retailer had a spouse named Rachel (Brigitte Kali Canales) and he or she and her child caught round with the group this entire time. Sadly, Rachel, in attempting to vary a tire on her automotive, broke her leg and couldn’t flee to security along with her little one. Luckily, Emile’s searching canine got here alongside, and so she tied herself and her child to the canine, begged it to search out somebody, killed herself so the ache wouldn’t forestall them from shifting, and thus became a walker.
So, Grace and Morgan discover walker-Rachel and dispatch her, however they choose up the unhurt little one. “This appears like a present from Athena,” Morgan tells Grace (Karen David), who seems shocked and in disbelief. They take the newborn and conceal from the primary blast, however they’re caught by the second, and it’s not fairly clear whether or not they make it out.
- Others would possibly disagree, however I felt this was the weakest episode of the season. The give attention to “serving to folks” and forgiveness made me consider Seasons 4-5, which… weren’t this present at its finest. That, coupled with the sheer unlikelihood of the hound bringing a child to Morgan and Grace, who simply occur to listen to the newborn crying… and June and J.D. going out of their method to forgive Dakota on the final second after they know she’s a sociopath — I do know the TWD-verse requires suspension of disbelief generally, however this episode was pushing it.
- The dialogue simply wasn’t it this episode, both. Morgan and Grace’s admission of emotions was candy, however actual folks simply don’t speak like that. Strand’s speech was additionally excessive (though Colman Domingo makes something work). Oh, and the title playing cards all through the episode felt a bit tacky.
- Not together with Alicia (Alycia Debnam-Carey) on this episode was a bizarre selection. We did see the blast from the place she is, however we didn’t see her. Not even a glimpse. Effectively, right here’s hoping she doesn’t flip to cannibalism and begin a preventing pit in her bunker over the inevitable time leap between seasons (sure, this can be a The 100 reference).
- I’ll be curious to see whether or not Concern explores CRM in earnest subsequent season, or if having a complete group go away by way of helicopter was actually an excuse to put in writing off a bunch of characters with out killing them. Or possibly all of them go to World Past? Exhausting to say.
- Score: 2/5. After a season of strong episodes, Concern’s finale relied too closely on comfort and performed it too secure with a big solid of characters. With that stated, it did additionally arrange some fascinating tales for Season 7 — it’s value coming again for villain-Strand alone.
Concern The Strolling Useless, Returns 2022, AMC