1. There are such a lot of layers and quite a lot of nuance to the Rachel Nichols–Maria Taylor controversy. One factor that’s been fairly clear, although, is that ESPN has bungled this whole scenario.
I used to be struck by the wording of this tweet from TMZ Sports activities final night time.
That tweet actually isn’t correct.
The correct tweet would learn, “Rachel Nichols Booted From NBA Finals Sideline Gig After Maria Taylor Feedback Even Although ESPN Let Her Work the NBA Finals Final Season, However Now ESPN Is Booting Her As a result of Somebody Leaked the Feedback to the New York Occasions.”
ESPN knew about Nichols’s feedback final yr and he or she labored the NBA Finals. So ESPN didn’t pull her from this yr’s Finals due to the feedback she made in a personal name that was recorded by mistake and distributed on function. She was pulled from the NBA Finals as a result of the feedback grew to become public.
In an fascinating twist, the feedback had been additionally made public just weeks before Taylor’s contract with ESPN is set to expire.
So now ESPN is in full-fledged panic mode. It pulled Nichols from the Finals after which bizarrely didn’t air her present, The Leap, on Tuesday, though she hosted it on Monday.
It was silly for ESPN to tug the present as a substitute of simply utilizing a substitute host. By pulling the present, ESPN punished Nichols’s co-hosts, Richard Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins, and all of the individuals who work on The Leap behind the scenes.
ESPN ought to’ve performed no matter it wanted to do to repair this example final yr.
An argument might be made that this mess is an extension of NBA Countdown’s being a catastrophe for years and years and years. ESPN has by no means been capable of produce a top-notch NBA pregame present.
The solid turned over for years. Everybody from Magic Johnson to Invoice Simmons to Michelle Beadle has had a crack at making Countdown a present that generated buzz with NBA followers à la NBA on TNT. Nevertheless it by no means occurred.
After ESPN booted Beadle as host in 2019, the community introduced that Nichols and Taylor would share internet hosting duties. I can’t ever bear in mind a studio present for a significant sport having a number of hosts.
This was a dumb transfer then and it’s turn into a disaster now.
2. A variety of degenerate gamblers try to capitalize on the opportunity of Aaron Rodgers’s getting traded to the Broncos.
Not a foul play because it’s fairly clear Rodgers has no intentions of taking part in for the Packers. But when I had been a betting man, I would put cash on Rodgers retiring.
3. On one hand, I agree with Steve Kerr’s saying Kevin Durant shouldn’t hassle with Twitter. And clearly, Durant disagrees with that take.
Then again, I by no means need Durant to cease offering great content material on Twitter.
4. Jimmy Kimmel has given us a model re-creation of NBA Imply Tweets.
5. J.J. Watt has some stable kind on his long-range jumpers.
6. The most recent episode of the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast dropped Thursday morning, and it options an interview with Inexperienced Gentle Podcast host and former Tremendous Bowl champion Chris Lengthy and our new weekly “Traina Ideas” section.
Lengthy talks about why it could’ve been good to see extra star NFL gamers provide public help for Carl Nassib after the Raiders defensive lineman introduced he was homosexual. Lengthy additionally explains what the locker room response shall be like for Nassib and why Nassib’s announcement is vital.
Lengthy additionally discusses how he’d deal with having teammates who refuses to get vaccinated, why he’d debate Payments huge receiver Cole Beasley and why gamers who will not get vaccinated are out of luck.
In honor of the Fourth of July weekend, Lengthy energy ranks Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day, and in addition weighs in burgers vs. sizzling canines vs. sausage.
On this week’s Traina Ideas section, Jimmy and WFAN’s Sal Licata discuss Tom Brady’s character, Scottie Pippen’s wild interview with Dan Patrick, the Yankees woes and #FreeBritney.
You may as well watch the SI Media Podcast on YouTube.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: The thirty second anniversary of Seinfeld‘s debut was July 5. In honor of the event, a really inventive particular person made this video that mashes up clips from the present with a music from yearly Seinfeld was on TV.
You should definitely catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You may as well comply with Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.