1. A workforce getting back from an 8–0 deficit to drag off a 9–8 win capped by a walk-off hit within the backside of the ninth would usually be probably the most notable factor to occur at a baseball recreation.
Nevertheless, that was not the case in San Diego final evening. The lead from the Padres’ wild victory over the Nationals was aid pitcher Daniel Camarena hitting a grand slam. In his first Main League at-bat. Off Max Scherzer
The 28-year-old Camarena, who was referred to as up from Triple A on June 19, made one look for the Padres earlier than being despatched again down. However he was referred to as up once more on Thursday.
With Padres starter Yu Darvish lasting solely three innings after giving up six earned runs, Camarena was within the recreation and needed to take his flip at bat within the fourth inning. The consequence was the lefthander changing into the primary MLB aid pitcher to hit a grand slam since Don Robinson in 1985.
Padres play-by-play man Don Orsillo had a improbable name of the homer. Not solely was it enjoyable, however Orsillo’s full and whole shock got here via clearly. The lengthy pause earlier than he mentions that the grand slam got here off Max Scherzer was excellent as effectively. Take a pay attention:
To not be outdone, the Spanish radio name of of Camarena’s homer can be a must-hear.
And never that the Camarena fairy story wanted one other layer, however the hurler’s dad was within the crowd final evening to look at his son, and his response to the grand slam was stunning.
2. This week’s SI Media Podcast options an interview with ESPN’s Sean McDonough. The veteran play-by-play man talks about why he needed the job because the community’s lead NHL voice, why it did not work out for him calling Monday Evening Soccer, whether or not he feels underrated relating to elite play-by-play broadcasters, his well-known voice cracks and rather more.
He additionally shared one hell of a Invoice Raftery story.
3. Jeff Van Gundy dropped some Jay-Z lyrics throughout final evening’s Bucks-Suns NBA Finals recreation, a lot do the delight of his companions, Mike Breen and Mark Jackson.
4. Amid the Rachel Nichols–Maria Taylor controversy, New York Put up sports activities media columnist Andrew Marchand reported last night that Taylor will not be round to work NBA Countdown if the Finals goes six or seven video games. She nonetheless hasn’t reached a brand new take care of ESPN, which, based on Marchand, is providing $3 million a 12 months, and her present contract expires July 20.
5. This is a random fan simply casually strolling as much as Rory McIlroy and stealing considered one of his golf equipment at present prefer it’s no large deal.
6. For some purpose, a fan determined to electronic mail NBA commissioner Adam Silver about Patrick Beverley’s low-cost shot on Chris Paul on the finish of Sport 6 of the Clippers-Suns Western Convention finals, which triggered Beverley to go along with the police emoji reply.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Completely happy sixty fifth birthday, Tom Hanks.
Make sure you catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You can even observe Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.