I’ve been requested many occasions if I can share some hacks as to easy methods to make good Sindhi dodoh with gluten-free flours. This column is devoted to my gluten-sensitive friends who need their on a regular basis consolation meals with millets. Dodoh is right for a cold winter morning, with a scorching cup of kaada or tea.
This can be very good in your intestine. I all the time attempt to add seasonal veggies to my millet meals. There are, nonetheless, a number of dos and don’ts that individuals have to know. Earlier than I proceed, listed here are a number of ideas.
1. Study two-fist parts. If a dodoh meal exceeds two fists, begin including many winter veggies. Inexperienced garlic is my go-to ingredient. Like mint is for summers, inexperienced garlic is obligatory for winters.
2. Though mixing flour will not be really useful, occasionally it’s okay to make use of or combine cornmeal, pearl millet flour and even brown rice flour along with your dodoh. I’ve loved making dodoh with barnyard millet flour (freshly milled at dwelling).
3. All the time knead with heat or lukewarm water. Gluten free flours want some remedy and this helps the flour bind nicely.
4. No matter veggies you’re including, hand-pound them in order that their juices are launched. It will make your dodoh rather more flavourful.
5. All the time unfold the dough immediately on the pre-heated and well-greased forged iron griddle. There’s something in regards to the little burnt, crisp and densely-textured dodoh.
6. As soon as achieved, cowl it. I’ve used a heavy forged iron griddle. Any heavy base is sweet.
7. I’ve used the rolling pin to make it thinner. Though you’ll be able to keep away from this step, it’s value doing should you love skinny dodoh. Simply dunk them in your favorite dip or plain yogurt.
Sindhi dodoh with sorghum millet
(Makes 2 dodoh)
· ¾ cup freshly milled sorghum millet flour (jowar aata)
· 1 medium onion finely chopped
· ¼ cup contemporary coriander leaves
· 1-2 medium inexperienced chili (finely-chopped)
· 1 medium tomato chunks
· ½ tbsp A2 ghee (or chilly pressed sesame oil)
· ¼ tsp turmeric powder
· ¼ tsp Kashmiri pink chilli powder
· Rock salt to style
· Finely-chopped contemporary inexperienced garlic
· Lukewarm water to knead
· Chilly-pressed oil or A2 ghee to grease
1. In a mortar and pestle, hand-pound coarsely-chopped veggies.
2. Take all of the substances and blend collectively to type a decent dough. Divide into two components.
3. Now grease a scorching forged iron pan (or any iron griddle). Moisten your arms with water and gently-pat one portion of the dough onto the griddle. On medium flame, strive spreading it in round form with the assistance of your palm until it attains the dimensions of an Indian flatbread (roti). Grease a bit extra and canopy it with a plate.
4. After 2-3 minutes, dodoh may be simply flipped; pour slightly oil/ghee. Flip it once more until you see the floor turning brown. Simply watch out whereas flipping (consult with the video).
5. You’ll be able to additional flatten it with the assistance of a rolling pin. This enhances the style.
6. Serve scorching with dahi (yogurt) or any immediate chutney. This time I loved muj chetin, a Kashmiri dry chutney made with grated radish and chopped walnuts.
7. Benefit from the freshly made scorching dodoh.
(Shalini Rajani is the founding father of Loopy Kadchi. She holds revolutionary Millets Cooking Workshops for all age teams.)