HOBOKEN, N.J. (January 8, 2022) – 4 totally different gamers reached double figures, however the Stevens Institute of Expertise males’s basketball staff fell to Misericordia College 77-67 Saturday in a MAC Freedom matchup at Canavan Enviornment.
Graduate Alec DiPietrantonio posted his fifth double-double of the season with 15 factors and 12 rebounds and junior Conor Coffey completed with a game-high 16 factors for the Geese, who fell to 4-6 on the yr and to 3-2 in league play.
Elijah Rosenthal poured in a game-high 23 factors and Derek Smith (17 factors and 10 rebounds) and Nate Kreitzer (13 factors and 10 assists) every had a double-double for Misericordia, who snapped a three-game dropping streak to enhance to 4-8 on the yr and 3-3 within the MAC Freedom.
Becoming a member of DiPietrantonio and Coffey in reaching double figures had been junior Andrew Abujahdeh (season-high 11 factors) and sophomore Mike Goodall. It marked the third time this season that a minimum of 4 Geese completed in double digits.
A protracted Goodall three opened scoring after the groups traded misses to start play, nonetheless, the Cougars scored on three straight possessions to take a 15-7 lead. Graduate scholar Maguire Sweeney sank his solely basket of the competition to assist Stevens chip away at its early deficit earlier than the Geese pulled inside three on a Goodall fast-break layup.
Misericordia’s 3-point taking pictures allowed the Cougars to open up a first-half lead. The Cougars shot 5 for 9 (55.6%) from behind the arc to enter the intermission with a three-point lead after connecting on a pair of quick jumpers within the final 90 seconds to reclaim the lead. Stevens had jumped in entrance 30-29 on a second-chance layup by graduate scholar David Dixon.
The tempo picked up within the second half with all sides rising its factors per possession by greater than 25%. Abujawdeh offered an offensive elevate off the bench within the second half, scoring 10 of his 11 factors within the stanza, whereas DiPietrantonio additionally did most of his injury within the remaining stanza, ending with 11 factors, seven rebounds and a pair of blocks over the ultimate 20 minutes.
A gritty effort helped the Geese chip away at a double-digit deficit within the second half, forcing 10 turnovers to twice pull inside a single possession, nonetheless the Geese had been by no means capable of reclaim the lead. The Cougars would hit 4 free throws within the remaining minute to seal the victory.
- After trimming a double-digit deficit down to only three factors after a Coffey driving layup, the Geese pressured an ungainly floater by Joseph Baldachino to get the ball again with slightly below two minutes in regulation.
- After grabbing the rebound, Coffey misplaced his footing and appeared to name timeout to save lots of the possession, nonetheless, the timeout was granted and Misericordia reclaimed possession.
- Kreitzer linked for his remaining 3-pointer of the sport to push the Cougars’ result in six.
Contained in the Numbers
- Misericordia completed 25 of 60 from the ground (41.7%), whereas the Geese completed 25 of 69 (36.2%). The Geese made precisely 25 baskets for the second straight contest.
- The Geese held a 44-38 edge on the boards, together with a 16-7 margin on the offensive glass. The 16 offensive rebounds are a season excessive and are probably the most for the staff for the reason that Geese pulled down 16 towards then-No. 4 Middlebury on Dec. 8, 2019.
- The distinction in offensive rebounding led to a 12-7 benefit for the Geese in second-chance factors.
- Stevens turned 17 Misericordia turnovers into 21 factors.
- The Geese completed with a 20-3 edge in fast-break factors.
- First-year Jack Spellman blocked a career-high 5 pictures, probably the most by a Duck this season. As a staff, the Geese blocked eight pictures. Considered one of Spellman’s rejections was a unbelievable block of a Kreitzer try on the rim.
- Abujawdeh completed with a season-high three steals.
- Sophomore Frank Gelfman made each of his makes an attempt from the ground, together with a protracted three, to complete with 5 factors. He additionally pulled down a few rebounds and had one steal.
From the Court docket – Head Coach Bobby Hurley
- “I assumed Misericordia performed a extremely full sport at the moment. Sadly, we did not play properly sufficient on both finish of the ground. We must be extra aggressive and our communication wants to enhance for our staff to essentially come collectively.”
- Males’s basketball continues MAC Freedom play on Jan. 12 at Delaware Valley.
- The Geese swept the season collection in 2019-20 in what’s believed to be the primary two conferences between the applications.
- A hyperlink for stay stats is offered on StevensDucks.com.
Fb: “Like” Stevens Athletics