For the second straight week, each U.S. state and territory is on Chicago’s journey advisory, the town introduced Tuesday.
Final week marked the primary week each location was on the town’s warning checklist, however with no states or territories reaching the brink to be eliminated, the advisory remained unchanged in its weekly replace.
Based on the town’s well being division, it has been almost a yr because the final time each state and territory has been on the journey advisory.
States are added to the advisory’s “orange checklist” when COVID metrics rise above the brink of 15 circumstances per day per 100,000 individuals. Any beneath that mark are on the “yellow” checklist, with public well being officers nonetheless warning in opposition to non-essential journey.
“In case you’re unvaccinated and also you journey, you’re taking an enormous well being danger,” Chicago Division of Public Well being Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady mentioned in a press release. “An important factor you are able to do proper now – whether or not you’re planning to journey or not – is to get totally vaccinated and get a booster shot if you find yourself eligible. Individuals are ending up in hospitals day by day who didn’t suppose they’d ever be there – and almost all of them are unvaccinated. Individuals are dying day by day – and overwhelmingly they’re unvaccinated.”
Simply earlier than the Labor Day vacation final yr, the town up to date its steering for what unvaccinated vacationers visiting or getting back from places on the advisory ought to do, including new testing and quarantining suggestions earlier than and after journey.
Based on the town, earlier than journey, unvaccinated people ought to:
- Get examined 3-5 days previous to departure.
- ALL people no matter vaccination standing ought to put on a masks on planes, buses, trains, and different types of public transportation touring into, inside, or out of the US and whereas indoors at U.S. transportation hubs equivalent to airports and stations.
- In Chicago, put on a masks in all indoor public settings, no matter vaccination standing.
- Keep away from crowds, attempt to keep at the very least 6 toes/2 meters (about 2 arm lengths) from anybody who is just not touring with you, and wash your palms typically or use hand sanitizer (with at the very least 60% alcohol).
After journey, unvaccinated people ought to:
- Get examined with a viral check 3-5 days after journey AND keep residence and self-quarantine for a full 7 days.
- Even in the event you check destructive, keep residence and self-quarantine for the total 7 days.
- In case your check is optimistic, isolate your self to guard others from getting contaminated.
- In case you don’t get examined, keep residence and self-quarantine for 10 days after journey.
- Keep away from being round people who find themselves at elevated danger for extreme sickness for 14 days, whether or not you get examined or not.
The town suggested all vacationers to watch themselves for COVID-19 signs and isolate and get examined in the event that they develop any after journey.
“We now have seen and know that journey is a major danger issue for buying COVID,” Arwady mentioned. “In case you determine to not get examined, the advice is definitely to remain residence and self quarantine for 10 days after journey, and it’s best to keep away from being round anyone who has an elevated danger for extreme COVID outcomes for 14 days after journey no matter whether or not you get examined or not. Clearly we would like anyone who’s touring to self monitor for COVID signs and get examined in the event you develop signs.”
This week’s replace to the journey advisory comes at a time when the common day by day variety of new circumstances in Chicago sat at 4,793 per day, marking a drop from final week’s 5,189.
That determine is far greater than the low of 34 the town noticed in late June and now exceeds the greater than 700 circumstances per day the town was seeing throughout the latest surge earlier this yr.
Hospitalizations, nevertheless, are averaging 187 per day, a rise of 37% within the final week. Deaths are additionally reporting a rise of 25% within the final week.
The positivity charge in testing dropped to 18.9% this week, down from 21% the week prior.
The journey advisory is up to date each Tuesday, with any modifications taking impact the next Friday.